There are many kinds of easily accessible online gambling sites and activities. Easy access to gambling is a potential disaster for a person with a compulsive gambling disorder or an inclination to having a problem with gambling. With an abundance of online casinos and betting sites, anyone with a gambling problem and an Internet connection is faced with temptation twenty-four hours a day.
Is compulsive gambling a real problem? Why can’t they just stop?
A compulsive gambler often wants to stop. After all, he is losing his money, his friends, ruining his family . . . But he can not stop. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) – the American handbook for mental health professionals, Compulsive Gambling is a mental disorder that requires treatment.
How do you know if someone a compulsive gambler?
Problem gambling is characterized by a difficulty to limit money and/or time spent on gambling activity which leads to harmful effects on the gambler himself as well as to others. Pathological gambling is now defined as persistent and recurrent maladaptive gambling behavior meeting at least five of the following criteria:
1. Preoccupation. He/She has frequent thoughts about gambling experiences.
2. Tolerance. He/She requires larger bets to get a “rush”.
3. Moody.. Restless and irritable when they try to stop gambling.
4. Escape. Gambles to “feel good” or get away from problems.
5. One more time. Trying to win back gambling losses by gambling.
6. Lying. Lies to hide his/her gambling habit.
7. No control. He/She has unsuccessfully attempted to stop gambling.
8. Law breaking. He/She has broken the law to get money.
9. Risked relationships. Gambles despite risking an important relationship,.
10. Bailout. He/She turns to family or friends for financial help.
How Can you Stop Someone from Gambling on the Computer?
Open communication is the best way to approach a loved one with a suspected gambling problem. If the problem is that they are gambling online, you can do a lot to help them. First of all, get rid of the temptation. That does not have to mean getting rid of the family computer or canceling the Internet connection.
If your loved one admits to a problem and wants your help to overcome the problem, you can agree together to start by eliminating the easy access they have to gambling online. Simply by installing an effective web filter, you can easily block out gambling and betting websites from your PC.